History of The School
Until 1824 when King George IV contributed with others to the first Free (Church of England) School in Kew there had been no educational establishments other than those privately run and thereby, fee-paying.
A new school was constructed in the Gothic style in an area between the pond and the river and the King commanded that the new school should be known as 'The King's Free School'. It was opened in 1824 by his brother, Prince William.
Patronage from the Royal Family and their entourage was of great value to the school. Boys and girls were educated separately and education was free for those from Kew, a daily rate being payable by those living elsewhere.
The school's name was changed to Queen's School on the accession of Queen Victoria and was to change with subsequent monarchs by their permission. The increasing population of Kew led to the need for a larger school and in 1887 the Duke of Cumberland was to lay the foundation stone for the school that is the subject of this Website.
The 1887 building was demolished in 1970.
Its successor The Queen's School is situated in Cumberland Road, Kew.
Deposited by the Clerk to the Governors of The Queen’s School, Kew, in April 2008.
The charity school, later known as the King’s or Queen’s School, was established in 1810 according to The Reports of the Commissioners ... concerning Charities in England and Wales relating to the County of Surrey, 1819-37. New buildings were completed in 1826.
The original endowment of the school consisted of one twelfth share of the income from an estate called Perry Court Farm, Faversham, Kent, bequeathed under the will of Dorothy, Lady Capel, who died in 1721. Further endowments included £40 bequeathed by Barbara Meyer, widow of Jeremiah Meyer RA, in 1818; £300 given by King George IV in 1824 to build the school house, with the command that in future the school should be called ‘The King’s Free School’; and the sale of the Dame Holford £75 South Sea Stock in 1827 to help pay for building the school house.
The school was supported by annual subscribers, but from the latter part of the 19th century received increasing amounts of government grant.
The Queen’s School came into the state education system under the terms of the Education Act, 1902, becoming a Voluntary Aided School. This is a denominational school owned by the Trustees in which governors have particular responsibilities including the external upkeep of the school buildings, insurance and a proportion of the cost of any new building work. The Foundation, via the Diocesan Board as trustees, still owns the school and as such has the right to have a majority of governor representatives to ensure that the character and conduct of the school are preserved in accordance with its trust deed.