Skip to content ↓

Queen's History in Kew

In 1810, a "Free School" was opened in St Anne's Church, Kew, for 50 children, financed by subscribers who  gave one guinea a year, in addition to a contribution given by King George III. 

In 1824 the school moved to a site near the pond on Kew Green.  The foundation stone was laid on 12th August, the birthday of King George IV, who gave £300 with the condition that the school be called "The King's Free School".

Queen Victoria gave permission for the school to be called "The Queen's School" and decreed that its title should change with that of the monarch.

Compulsory schooling up to the age of 10 was introduced late in the nineteenth century and the school expanded considerably.  The school moved to its Cumberland Road site in 1969.