Sport Premium - academic year 2020 -2021
At The Queen’s School we believe it is every child’s right to receive high quality learning and teaching in all aspects of the curriculum, this must include physical education. Children have a right to be challenged in PE as in any other area of the curriculum. Therefore, The Queen’s school believes that physical education, experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is a unique and vital contributor to a pupil’s physical, intellectual and social development. A broad and balanced physical education curriculum contributes significantly to the wider educational growth of the whole child; developing physical skills, providing opportunities for social interaction, cooperation, competition and challenge.
The Queen’s School Vision
- Every child receives two hours per week of high quality learning and teaching in physical education.
- Children are encouraged to be physically active for sustained periods both in PE lessons and within their playtimes.
- Children are inspired by PE lessons/clubs, enjoy being physically active and leave our school with the motivation, the physical confidence, competence and knowledge and understanding for lifelong participation in physical activity.
- Children understand the benefits of a healthy lifestyle, how it affects their well-being and how it supports their health and fitness.
- Opportunities are made for more children to be involved in competitive sport and a wide range of other physical activities which help to embed the values of fairness and respect.
We welcome the Government’s announcement to continue The Sport Premium funding to improve provision for physical education (PE and sport) in primary schools. We are committed to using this resource to continue to develop high quality PE lessons, alongside developing greater opportunities for sporting competitions and activities for all our pupils in order to achieve our vision for sport and PE at The Queen’s School.
Sport Premium grant
Funding for schools is calculated on the number of primary aged pupils, from year 1 - year 6, recorded at the January 2020 census. All schools with 17 or more pupils receive a lump sum of £16,000, plus a premium of £10.00 per pupil. The total number of pupils Year 1 – 6 was 354. Sport Premium grant £ 19,540
The receipt of regular funding since 2013 has enabled The Queen’s School to continually improve the PE provision, ensuring high quality learning experiences for all pupils, professional development for staff and expanded the competitive sporting opportunities for more pupils.